Well, hi! I did not plan to be away from the blog for as long as I have been. We just got back from three weeks of visiting family and friends Stateside, and although I had grand plans to blog over there, it just didn’t happen. I’ve been working on lots of very exciting things though, and I’ve got a backlog of fun stuff to share with you, starting with a few updates to the boy’s room!
This space got some attention not too long ago. I added a mid-century dresser, moved his keyboard in and switched the furniture around, but it still wasn’t completely finished.
There were a few niggly things that needed fixing. The rug was too small, the bedside cabinet had seen better days, and the curtains weren’t perfect. When I initially “finished” this room, I kept the curtains that came with the house. The print is a pretty yellow gingham, and it fit with the rest of the room. I also didn’t really want to spend money on custom window treatments for a rental, so they stayed.
There were a few issues, though. I’m just gonna put it out there: 3/4 length drapery is the curtain equivalent of a burly dude wearing capri pants. It’s a hard look to pull off. Aside from that, the sun had bleached the edges, and they didn’t actually close all the way.
British mid-summer nights are only dark from 10pm till 4am. Obviously, having kids wake up that early isn’t fun for anyone, and neither are the endless discussions about why we are going to bed when it’s only the afternoon. Last year we used these temporary black out blinds in here. They worked, but they were a total pain to stick up every night and take down every morning.
So, when the blinds I bought for Eleanor’s room didn’t work out, I was more than happy to move them in here instead.
Most custom blinds are really expensive (we were talking £350-£450, at a minimum) but I found these for less than £120, shipped.
It took me all of twenty minutes to hang them. The fabric is attached to the rail with velcro, so they’re very easy to remove for cleaning.
I was a little concerned about losing the yellow, because the boy loves colour, but the room is still as happy as it was. And it’s brighter now!
I realised I’d hung the blinds slightly off-center as I was editing that photo. But because of how they’re hung (the rail clips onto the brackets rather than being permanently attached), I just slid them over to the left a smidge.
They block the light so much better than the curtains did, and the whole room feels calmer and more polished. I wish I’d just bitten the bullet and done this a year ago!
Now that blinds are up, I want to finish the rest of the room properly. I created a mood board, although I admit it might have been slightly unnecessary given that I’m really only changing three things – the blinds, the bedside table and the rug. But that’s what I do. 🙂
- DIY Upholstered Bed
- Roman Blinds in Pure Linen Stripe – Blinds 2Go
- Bedside Table – Swoon Editions
- Light Box – Litecraft
- Parsons Bookcase – Home Decorators
- DIY Poster Frame / Poster – Posterlounge
- Midcentury Tallboy – eBay
- Moroccan-Style Rug – Anthropologie
- Pegboard – Block / DIY Button Monogram
The rug has arrived since I took these pics, and I’m picking the bedside table up tomorrow. I’m excited!