Today’s New York bachelor apartment design features industrial details, combined with organic elements and a refined colour palette with on-trend accents of deep green.
- Give character & style to a generic new-build 5th floor studio apartment
- Provide suggestions for arranging open floor plan into kitchen, living, dining, bedroom & bathroom areas
- Create a space with a “wow” factor
- Incorporate existing furnishings and artwork that the client has collected on his frequent travels
Industrial interior inspiration
I can honestly say that I love every single space in the inspiration board for this apartment design.
The Floor Plan
Moving on to the floor plan for this NYC apartment design, which started out as a 1200 sq ft empty box.
The space needed separating into areas designated for sleeping, eating, working, etc. Because the windows run solely along one side of the unit, I put all the living spaces on that side, and placed the more utilitarian spaces – kitchen, bathrooms, laundry – against the darker back wall.
I kept most of the unit open-plan, but defined spaces for living and dining with big area rugs, and created an entryway with a big closet and another, smaller rug. The second bathroom is big enough to add in a shower stall, and the bonus room could serve as storage, a guest room, an office or a workout room.
An office space doesn’t have to be big, but it makes a huge difference if it looks intentional. Building it into a nook between the bedroom and the bonus room achieves that.
I had to incorporate some of the client’s existing furnishings. The mood board shows those existing pieces on the left, and some new additions on the right.
- Following A Thread and Leading to the Next One pool paintings – Michelle Armas
- Chinese Console – Golden Triangle
- Faux Wall Mounted Skulls – Mia Fleur
- Barcelona Chair
- Moroccan Rug – Similar on Etsy
- Danish Chairs – Chairish
- Oversized Chinese Terracotta Vessel – Golden Triangle
- Dodu Bed – All Modern
- Live Edge Dining Table – Norr 11 at Houseology
- Green Velvet Sofa – One Kings Lane
- Ottomans – Art Hide
- Scalloped Hide Rug – Serna & Lily
- Bartlett Raffia Nesting Tables – Serena & Lily
- Interior steel framed windows separating living, sleeping and dressing areas (image source)
LOOKING FOR MORE DESIGN INSPO?
Check out the full Mood Board Archives here.