One Room Challenge Week 6: Shared Kids Room Reveal

It’s reveal time, friends! My first One Room Challenge makeover is a wrap. Over the past six weeks, I’ve been working on the gender-neutral, shared kids room, turning it into a bright, happy space for my six-year-old son and four-year-old daughter.

Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

This was the plan, and I stuck to it pretty closely:

Mood Board Design Plan - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
We didn’t have much of a budget for this room, so I stuck with mainly things we already owned. The room isn’t big, but it’s lovely and light, and the perfectly centered window made the floor plan straightforward:
Floor Plan - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
The beds were the big DIY here, as I explained in week three. (And week four, when everything fell apart!) Sebastian’s favorite color is red, and while it’s not a color I’d normally choose, I do love coral. The beds are the perfect shade of corally-red, so we’re both happy.
Girls Side - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
DIY Upholstered Headboard - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

The drapery came with the house, and it works. I think I’d nix the curtains and do a big roman shade if we weren’t renting, but I do like the yellow gingham in here, and the black-out lining, so they stayed.

I found the little rattan chair in a vintage shop for £10, and it makes for a cute little reading spot for little bottoms.
Vintage Rattan Chair & DIY Poster Frame - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
Although this is a shared kids room, I wanted to designate space for each of them to call their own. They basically have a side of the room each. The bookcase is mainly Eleanor’s stuff and the closet is mainly Sebastian’s, although there is some overlap. I still want to add book plates to label the bins, but they’re shipping from the US and haven’t arrived yet.
Painting wasn’t an option, and I love the white walls anyway, but I would’ve done something about the trim and closet doors if I’d been allowed.
Shelf Styling on Parsons Bookcase - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
I have to thank my grandma all the pretty brass – she was having a clear out recently and I did rather well out of it! Eleanor bought the little rattan chair for her bear from a charity shop the other day – it cost 50p and it was the first thing she’s ever bought with pocket money! I attached the fairy lights with clear acrylic clips, and they’re so pretty at night.
In the hallway just outside, I hung the growth chart we bought four years ago. I still love it, and love that we can roll it up and take it with us when we move. (We lost the bottom weight – I need to make a new one so it stops curling.)Vintage-Style Roll Up Growth Chart - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room ChallengeLeather Steamer Chest - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
We bought the dresser a couple of years ago. It was a total impulse buy and I haven’t regretted it for a second. It was from Feather & Black, and isn’t available anymore, but they do a few similar options.
We made a home work station and armoury in week five for all of the boy’s toy weapons. I’m still planning to replace the too-short poof, but I stalled on that because I left it too late and I’ve maxed out the budget (for now).
Pegboard Storage & Space Saving Desk - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

Poof (no longer available) // Clip-On Lamp

I talked about the wall decals and how I put them up in week two. I didn’t hang them all the way down the walls because I did that in our last house and the ones within little arms’ reach didn’t last long. They still make a big impact on the room this way, and no one has tried to peel them off. Win!

DIY Upholstered Bed on Boys Side - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room ChallengeBoys Side - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
I bought the sweet star print duvet covers at M&S a couple of years ago. The striped fabrics are actually Turkish towels (from Home Sense, which is the UK version of Home Goods), but we use them as throws, and the yellow throws are throws, funnily enough.
Layered Bedding - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

Hmong Pillow Covers (similar) // Throws // Other Bedding no longer available

Hmong Cushion - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room ChallengeI’ll shut up now and bombard you with the rest of the photos.

Shelf Styling - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room ChallengeBlue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
Bedding & DIY Upholstered Bed - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
Bicycle Hooks - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
Hanging Planter & DIY Poster Frame - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

Hanging Planter (similar) // Poster // DIY Poster Frame

Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room ChallengeTwin Beds - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

The boy really wanted to be in the last couple of photos. (His sister really didn’t want to!)

Boy Reading - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge
Boy & Dog - Blue Red Mint Kids Room - Shared Kids Room Reveal - One Room Challenge

You can (and should) check out all the reveals from the featured designers for this One Room Challenge here, and the linking participants here – there’s a lot of good stuff in there! Huge thanks to Linda at Calling It Home for organizing the whole event and kicking my butt into gear. 😉

Other posts from this One Room Challenge:
Post contains some affiliate links.

1. May 12, 2016 / 4:59 pm

I love it! It looks great-so cohesive and well thought out. Great job!! Do the kids love it?

2. May 12, 2016 / 5:00 pm

Wow Lizzie this room is Awesome for your kiddos!! I love all the color, ahhh and that dresser is soooo good!! Beautiful work 🙂

3. May 12, 2016 / 5:00 pm

I love it!!!! I also did a kid's room, so I love seeing what the other kiddos are enjoying after their mamas put in long hours making over their bedrooms! 🙂 Fantastic job!!!

4. May 12, 2016 / 5:00 pm

What a perfect shared space! I love this color combination too, gender neutral without being boring, so cute!

5. May 12, 2016 / 5:12 pm

You come up as anonymous – shoot me a link – I'd love to check out your space too 🙂

6. May 12, 2016 / 6:51 pm

This type of room is just so tricky to pull of,but you managed to do so Lizzie! I love hoe their individual personality still shines while still maintaining cohesiveness thru out the space! how you did it is beyond me! Genius momma with lots of love for sure!Congrats and Cheers for another room done!

7. May 12, 2016 / 8:01 pm

You did an amazing job creating a space that is special for both your kiddos! I bet they are delighted to have such a special room! Beautiful job!!!

8. May 12, 2016 / 8:41 pm

The combo of the red headboards (love the nailheads!) against that navy dresser/nightstand is EVERYTHING!!!!! xx

9. May 12, 2016 / 8:45 pm

The room looks amazing Lizzie. Love the transformation
    [email protected]://techiesdiyadventures.blogspot.com/

10. May 12, 2016 / 8:48 pm

This is such a great shared room! I feel like it can be super tricky to balance the gender lines but you did a wonderful job!

11. May 12, 2016 / 8:54 pm

I did wonder if it was reading a bit too "boy" but I think it worked out OK in the end – no complaints from Miss E at least! Thanks Danielle 🙂

12. May 13, 2016 / 7:37 am

this is such a cute and relaxing space. I know your kids love it and I would have never thought to put a coral upholstered headboard in my sons room. I LOVE the look….I have been missing out.

13. May 15, 2016 / 7:11 am

I love the coral beds! I would have never thought to use coral in a shared room with a boy and girl but I LOVE the idea! And it turned out amazing! Great job!

14. May 16, 2016 / 7:56 am

The coral bed was the right choice! it looks great. That dresser is amazing too. The whole room turned out pretty awesome.

15. May 16, 2016 / 8:00 am

I love all of it! Those beds are gorgeous, and I love the chest in between them too. Amazing!

-Erin Spain

16. May 17, 2016 / 9:13 am

I LOVE the red upholstered beds! So beautiful and totally impressed you DIYed it!

17. May 17, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Love a great kids room. And I notice you have a Corgi! We had one when my boys were growing up – best dog ever.

18. May 17, 2016 / 4:58 pm

Thank you Brenda! His name's Ted – he's a sweetie (and a bit of a grump too, lol). I love Corgis – they have so much character. 🙂

19. May 17, 2016 / 4:58 pm

Lizzie take a bow because this room transformation is just fantastic! Have a wonderful flower filled week!

20. May 18, 2016 / 9:09 am

Such a great kids room Lizzie! I love the red, white and blue and that dresser between the beds and the bedding. Great job!!!

21. May 18, 2016 / 9:11 am

What a beautiful job you did! I love all the color and pattern! Such a fun space…lucky kids!

22. May 19, 2016 / 8:18 am

I love the use of color. Such a cute kid-friendly room! Like the decals only half way down the wall. It really works! =) – Rosanna

23. May 19, 2016 / 8:28 am

Thank you Rosanna 🙂 I was hoping they wouldn't look weird…I think they work, and it's definitely better than having blank spots where they've been peeled off!

24. May 23, 2016 / 5:21 pm

You’ve probably read this a lot, but your room is awesome! I featured it today on my favorite Kid’s spaces from the ORC!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

25. May 27, 2016 / 8:18 am

I think my favorite thing in the room is the armory — so clever!

26. September 17, 2016 / 7:37 pm

I am totally blown away by this GORGEOUS room you've created for your kids, Lizzie. So much WOW!!