One Room Challenge Week 2: Wall Decals in Shared Kids Room

I’m an overly-excited linking participant in the One Room ChallengeLast week I shared my mood board for the kids’ room and a couple of ‘before’ photos:

I actually put the decals and the shelves up a couple of months ago, which I shared when I made this DIY poster frame (which will definitely get rehung – it’s too low but the nail was already in the annoyingly dense brick wall).
I bought the decals from this Etsy seller, but when they arrived they were bigger than I was expecting, so I cut each and every one into four smaller triangles. It took a while, but I was already miffed at paying customs fees and international shipping and I was going to make it work gaddammit.
Initially I thought about covering all the walls uniformly, which is what I did in Sebastian’s never-finished bedroom in our last house (check it out here). That didn’t work out so well though, because the wee man would lie in bed at night and peel the decals off the walls. He stuck a bunch of the triangles together to make stars instead, and he was super pleased with himself. We did have a chat about it, but sometimes idle little hands can’t help themselves, so I wanted to avoid the temptation this time around. Instead, I opted for four rows that ran down from the top of the walls, increasing the spacing the further down they went.
Ignore the hanging planter. It’s empty, and it needs straightening – I’ll get to that later!
To get the spacing even, I made a stencil like I did for Eleanor’s nursery here. It makes the process really straightforward.
(The rows are evenly spaced on the stencil – ignore that. I improvised when I hung them, and shifted it down a couple of extra inches per row. I feel like this post is full of justifications and excuses, ha.)
I like them hung this way – it adds a bit of extra interest, and if they covered all the walls, it might be too busy. Because they stop a few feet above bed height, there has been no pulling them off. Hooray!
The shelves and the clamp lights are also already hung. They’re the same Ikea shelves we had in Sebastian’s rooms in Chicago (see those rooms here and here). Both kids are always collecting or making little things that warrant displaying, so I hung a set above each bed – it’s the same the other side of the window.
The curtains came with the house, and they’re staying. They’re a yellow gingham, so not as graphic as the chevron ones in my mood board. The print is softer, and they have black out lining, and I’d rather not spend money where I don’t need to.
Up next week – upholstered beds. They’ve been half done for a while, but they are getting finished as we speak.
Follow:

5 Comments

  1. April 14, 2016 / 6:17 pm

    Wow, what a great idea to make a stencil-I love how it turned out! It gives it such a modern, crisp look! I'm tackling a kid space for my ORC too (homework room), so I love finding the balance between kid friendly and mom friendly 🙂 Best of luck! Kristin @ Postbox Designs

  2. April 15, 2016 / 7:59 am

    Lizzie I adore the direction that your room is headed towards! You did SO much better than I did in my room this week.

    I would love for you to share this post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. I think our readers would really enjoy it!

    Good luck in the upcoming week!

  3. April 15, 2016 / 8:00 am

    I love the triangles. It was definitely worth spending all the time cutting them smaller! It looks adorable! We are going to do polka dots in my daughter's nursery and I can't wait to see how they look!

  4. April 17, 2016 / 5:26 pm

    What a fun plan! I love that you're being real about the fact that kids are kids and certain things don't work in a kids' room! (like my dream of grasscloth! Ha!) I love your writing style, too – this will be so fun to follow along!!! Cheers! -Stephanie from Ambience Inspired Interiors

  5. June 8, 2016 / 11:45 am

    Love the idea as I actually have one in my younger sons' bedroom. They too peal them off as I put some rows low but once I move the little one from his crib onto the big boy be and the older one in the top bunker, the triangles will be moved walls and I will put them higher. I actually bought mine for super cheap online but do love how you recreated yours completely. Initially I was thinking a full on wall paper but then said why not something easier like decals (and less permanent). Would love if you can link up and check out my latest DIY pallet project that might inspire you to create one for yourself 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *