One Room Challenge Week 4: Fixing & Organizing

So two things happened. One: I tidied (more on that in a min). And two: the sodding bed broke. You know those two beds that I just finished upholstering last week? Yeah, one of those. Gah.

So yes, we are in week four of the One Room Challenge. Check out my progress so far here:
Week 1 (Design Plan) // Week 2 (Wall Decals & Shelves) // Week 3 (DIY Upholstered Beds)

I mentioned that I didn’t recommend the bed frames I used because the wood was super soft. This was highlighted by the fact that one of them was damaged in our recent house move; the movers just shoved a few big screws in and hoped I wouldn’t notice. (I did, obviously. Not that I’m bitter.) Then last week, my super skinny six-year-old hopped down from standing on his sister’s bed and his tiny bottom apparently landed on the weakest spot of the sideboard, where there’s a gap in the slat supports – pretty much where the sun is shining on the sideboard in that pic above. The whole thing cracked.

I mean, the kid weighs like 35 lbs. Or something. I don’t know exactly, but he’s tiny, and it’s says a lot about the quality of the bed that it broke. Fortunately, the fabric held the thing together, so it didn’t split all the way in two.

I picked the staples out, shoved some wood glue in the cracks and drove a whole bunch of long wood screws in to bring it all back to the right shape. Very professional, right?!

I wanted to replace the two supports with one long, thicker one, but they’re glued on, so instead I added a brace underneath (it’s stronger than it looks).

Now that the whole thing’s put back together, you can’t tell at all. I switched the beds over, so the damaged sideboard now sits against the wall. I’m hoping that if no-one sits on it again, it’ll hold for a good while. Seems fine so far.

On to the second thing: tidying. I think it’s impossible to design a cohesive, beautiful room without reasonable organization, so that was my plan this week. I started by going through both kids’ clothes and getting rid of stuff that they’d outgrown. They share that dresser – one drawer is pajamas, one is school uniforms, and they each get one drawer for undies and everything else. Miss E has a bit of hanging space in the wardrobe for dresses too. The drawers were definitely overstuffed…now, even with adding summer stuff, it all fits. Yay! (Folding could obviously be neater but I pick my battles.)

We also went through all the toys. Sebastian is pretty good at deciding what he still loves and what he’d rather get rid of, so he had a lot of input. Admittedly, I went through Eleanor’s stuff without her around, because she’s four and also she’s a hoarder. She had seven plastic cell phones and five tea sets, and she collects genuine rubbish off the street (today it was bits of Styrofoam). So while getting rid of a bunch of her stuff without her knowledge probably qualifies me as a terrible parent, she has spent the last few days playing with everything that’s left so much more. No asking for shows the second we get home – she just heads straight upstairs and pulls her toys out.

By the time I was done, I’d rounded up six big bags of stuff to donate, eBay or discard. And from a room this small, that’s a lot of stuff. The closet went from worse than this (this is actually part way through…eek):

To this:

I wish I could paint the closet doors and that nasty beige trim! I know it’s far from Pinterest-worthy, but it does make a huge difference to the whole room. I’m not actually finished yet, but it’s come a long way already.

We were able to make space for things that had been taking up space in other areas of the house, and we rediscovered some much-loved toys that had been lost for months in the process. I also realized that there were a few things that didn’t actually have a home (like Lego manuals, birthdays cards and knick-knacks), so I bought a few extra storage pieces – like these cardboard suitcases – for those.

I’d love to be able to store the toys in beautiful baskets, but I have found that if the kids can’t see the toys, they don’t play with them. So my requirements for toy bins are: they have to be transparent, easy for little hands to open, and stackable. We got the colorful bins in the closet for Sebastian’s old bedroom, and while they don’t match the color scheme anymore, they’re okay because they’re usually hidden away.

I wanted something similar for Eleanor, and settled on Samla boxes from Ikea. They’re not pretty, but they’re really functional and super cheap, so they’ll work until I can find something better. I doubt it’ll happen before the ORC finishes though. If you have any better suggestions, please let me know in the comments!

I was going to show you the pegboard storage today, but other things got in the way, so I’ll save that for next week. That, and all the little finishing details, then I can call this room done.

Follow:

8 Comments

  1. April 29, 2016 / 8:59 am

    I cannot believe the bed broke! But those drawers are inspiring, I may have to get to work on my kids' rooms! My son collects random "treasure" that he finds also! We call him a magpie.

  2. April 29, 2016 / 8:59 am

    The upholstery on the beds is so pretty and I would have cried when it broke! My daughter is also four and is a hoarder and I try to frantically get rid of some of her stuff whenever she isn't home!!

  3. April 29, 2016 / 8:59 am

    I'm so glad you were able to save the bed! I still have to do a lot of organizing in my space (craft room). I swear, the boxes of stuff I moved out of the room stare me down every day 🙂

  4. April 29, 2016 / 9:30 am

    I'm on a bit of a roll now – I want to organize all the things! Good luck with your craft room too – wish I had one! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *