Office Area Reveal

Our “new” office area is finished – finally. It only took me like three months (and no, there wasn’t that much to do, I just procrastinate a lot). Anyway, check it out.

(Please excuse the child-proofing on the drawers and PC tower – they’re rather a necessity in our house).
I’ll give you a quick recap of how this little nook came to be… we started with this:
It was the messy corner of our living room devoted primarily to the Little Man and his toys. The bookshelf is moving to the other side of the room and getting a makeover, the toys are mostly moving into S’s bedroom, and the rug has a new home elsewhere, all so we could move our desk out of the guest room and in here. And that is where it sat looking miserable for longer than it should have…
I attempted a gallery wall, but I didn’t like the results…
The wall itself was fine – it actually grew on me in the time it was up there – but it didn’t work with the simple, clean lines in the rest of the room.
See? Just not doing it. So I took the whole thing down, patched all the holes, touched up the paint, and started from scratch. I decided on three matching white frames over the desk instead…
This project wasn’t allowed to cost any money. I already had the frames and I filled them with wrapping paper I also had on hand. I might change them out eventually for some pretty prints or something, but they’re fine for the time being.
You might remember that in the process of sorting out this space, I reorganized all our desk drawers.
I also added file folders to make the desk organizer more efficient.
So now the whole space is working much better for us, which makes me happy. 🙂

And it’s much more cohesive with the rest of the room. Which is nice.

Also – side note – check out the ceramic owl candle I found at World Market the other day – isn’t he cute? (Technically, buying him means that I failed on the not-spending-any-money-on-this-project thing, but I don’t think it really counts, right?)
So, to recap, this was the before:
And this is the after:
Not the world’s most dramatic reveal, obviously, but it does make me feel like the room is that much closer to being finished, which is always a good thing.

Update: If you’re interested in a list of sources for this space, check it out here.

1. October 21, 2011 / 8:50 pm

Hi! I just found your blog from the I heart organizing link up. Your office area looks so beautiful! Such a pretty space! Nothing like a good organizing project, right!?

🙂

2. October 22, 2011 / 12:18 am

I like your office area! I was disappointed when you said you had to take the gallery wall down, but once you showed the rest of the room I can see what you mean. I'm stopping by from the link-up at AKA Design.

3. October 22, 2011 / 12:27 am

Thanks for stopping by ladies. 🙂
    Ellie – I know what you mean about the gallery wall – I actually quite liked it but just not in this space. I have plans to try it again in our future nursery – I think if it's the main feature of the room, it'll work better.

4. October 22, 2011 / 1:29 am

I love it! Very clean lines and pretty color choices. I have that same organizer for my desk and I love it.

5. October 22, 2011 / 4:06 am

This space turned out great! I love how clean it looks and how it simply flows with the rest of the room. Great work!

6. October 24, 2011 / 12:50 am

Thanks for all the lovely comments. 🙂
    Carol-Anne – the stool is the Estelle ottoman from Urban Outfitters (it's on their website).

7. October 25, 2011 / 3:02 am

What a great little office area. I would love for you to stop by and link up to More the Merrier Monday. It is open through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

8. October 27, 2011 / 10:06 pm

I love how light and airy it feels! Your little owl candle is adorable!! How could you not buy it?!

9. October 27, 2011 / 11:36 pm

Your office area is lovely! I thought the gallery wall was cool, but I got your point when you showed the whole room. I really like the simple white framed paper; very nice! You did a wonderful job.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

10. October 27, 2011 / 11:47 pm

You have a lovely and well organized loft home (I took the loft tour in your header as well.) The angles of walls may be difficult to work with, but you did a great job and they add some industrial interest to your space as well.

11. October 28, 2011 / 11:09 am

Your new desk area is so pretty! It looks neat and tidy…and I love your wall art. 🙂

12. November 15, 2011 / 4:46 am

Your area is just so LOVELY! Love the desk and the updated art {although the gallery was great!} and that mirror. The tufted ottoman is wonderful as well! LOVE LOVE LOVE! And seeing that it's all so organized of course leaves a smile in my heart!

xoxo,
    Jen

13. October 17, 2012 / 7:40 pm

Hi! I just stumbled across this post and was wondering where you got your desk…it's exactly what we are looking for…
    Any info would help!
    Thanks,
    Amanda

14. January 29, 2013 / 10:35 pm

I love how it turned out! So pretty and organized! Great space! =)

15. March 6, 2013 / 4:40 pm

This is a really great office space. You did a nice job.

16. March 6, 2013 / 4:40 pm

And that cute little owl, totally doesn't count! 😉