This was what I was working with when I started…
It was organized but there was too much stuff, so I went through each file and threw a lot of it away. Need I remind you that this was only about two thirds of the rubbish?
It can be a bit hard to figure out what to hold on to – I’ll post the guide lines I go by in the next couple of days.
After all that, I made a list of all the categories our documents fell into. I figured out, with a bit of rearranging, that I could get 13 binders down to 7, consisting of:
- Checking & savings accounts
- Credit cards
- Loans, tax & miscellaneous financial
- Our old condo (which we’re renting out)
- Employment & education
I labelled them temporarily while I filled them with all the documents. I use dividers in each one, so they’re all nice and neat.
Then I made labels for the sleeves. I printed them on turquoise paper, neatly ripped the edges and mounted them using Elmer’s glue (or PVA glue) onto textured card.
Now that they’re all done, though, I’m not entirely loving the labels. I thought about reprinting them and sticking them directly on the scrapbook paper inside the sleeves, but then I would have to replace the whole sleeve if I needed to update the labels. Instead, I’m going to save my pennies for a Silhouette machine, so I can make uber pretty labels – a bit like these from The DIY ShowOff – click the link to see more of Roeshel’s Silhouette projects)…