The black plastic wasn’t doing it for me, so I pulled out my Zinsser Bullseye 123 Primer. It claims it can be used on any surface without sanding, and I’ve had a tub sitting in the cupboard for months waiting to be used on the bookcase.
After I’d coated it, I wasn’t convinced. It looked streaky and freaky.
I do wonder whether it did that because I was painting in 95°f/35°C) heat (it’s recommended not to paint above 90°), but when I googled for images of other things primed with Zinsser and found one that looked similarly streaky, I let it dry and then started on the paint.
It took two coats of Benjamin Moore’s Tranquil Blue to cover all those fiddly bits, but the paint stayed put – Zinsser works!
I have to add here that I used a cheap-o $2 brush for the primer, thinking that with all the dabbing necessary to get in all the crevices, it might wreck my lovely Purdy brush. It so wasn’t worth it. I used my Purdy for the paint (which took twice as much dabbing), and look at the difference after all that:
Cheap-o brush was destroyed and went straight in the bin. Purdy has been with me for two years and is still going strong – best $16 I ever spent (on a brush).
Oh, by the way, this whole process would have been infinitely quicker with spray paint. But I live in an apartment and there isn’t really anywhere to spray paint here, so I did what I had to do. The whole painting part probably took about two and a half hours total (for three coats).
Then came the fun part. I have been itching to give the metallic wax finishes by Rub & Buff
a go for yonks. I couldn’t decide which colour I wanted, so I threw caution to the wind and bought all of them.
My initial thought was to use gold, but then I saw the pewter and went for that instead. I tried using a cloth to apply it, but it was easier to just use my finger. Once I’d spread it over all the pretty details, it was looking pretty good…
…But when I stood back, it didn’t feel finished…
Since I had the option, I decided to go back to Plan A and use gold to accent the Pewter. I tried Gold Leaf first, but it was a bit too yellow, then I settled on Grecian Gold. I didn’t use much – just a little to highlight certain areas.
Where it felt a bit washed out with just the Pewter, the Grecian Gold gave it more depth and looked better from a distance. I love it.
That was the frame done. Yay. Next, I gave the glass insert a couple of coats of Rustoleum Chalk Board Paint using a weeny roller (waiting four hours in between). You can buy chalk board paint in lots of colours but I went with basic black.
I reassembled it, covered the chalk board completely in a light dusting of chalk to activate the surface (as per the instructions), and my new chalk board was good to go.
It’s currently sitting in the kitchen, but I’m not convinced it really works in there. It might end up above our desk when we move our office. Anyhoo, such decisions can wait.
One more time – before…